The Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory (PEDI), originally published in 1992, has been revised as a computer adaptive test (CAT) – the PEDI-CAT. The PEDI-CAT measures abilities in three functional domains: Daily Activities, Mobility and Social/Cognitive. The PEDI-CAT’s Responsibility domain measures the extent to which the caregiver or child takes responsibility for managing complex, multi-step life tasks.
The PEDI-CAT can be used with all clinical diagnoses and across community settings. As with the original paper-pencil PEDI, the PEDI-CAT can be administered by professional judgment of clinicians or educators who are familiar with the child or by parent report.
This computerized adaptive version of the PEDI is intended to provide an accurate and precise assessment while increasing efficiency and reducing respondent burden. The PEDI-CAT software utilizes Item Response Theory (IRT) statistical models to estimate a child’s abilities from a minimal number of the most relevant items or from a set number of items within each domain. All respondents begin with the same item in each domain in the middle of the range of difficulty or responsibility and the response to that item then dictates which item will appear next (a harder or easier item), thus tailoring the items to the child and avoiding irrelevant items. The CAT program then displays the results instantly.
The PEDI-CAT is designed for use with children and youth (birth through 20 years of age) with a variety of physical and/or behavioral conditions.
- Identification of functional delay
- Examination of improvement for an individual child after intervention
- Evaluation and monitoring of group progress in program evaluation and research
- 2 Versions: Speedy and Content-Balanced
- 4 Domains: each domain is self-contained and can be administered separately or with the other domains.
- Scores: Normative standard scores (provided as age percentiles and T scores) and Scaled Scores; available for 21 age groups (intervals of one year).
- Age, gender and mobility device filters prevent irrelevant items from being presented.
- Items are worded using everyday language and clear examples.
- Illustrations of Daily Activities and Mobility items included to facilitate understanding of item intent.
- Available for iPads and PCs; each download includes English and Spanish versions.
The PEDI-CAT (ASD) is a module of the PEDI-CAT that has been validated for the population of children and adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). This module includes additional directions to help parents select an appropriate rating given the unique characteristics of children with autism. In addition, the scores in the Social/Cognitive domain are based on the unique patterns of children and youth with autism, but are expressed on the same metric as the original PEDI-CAT. Therefore, this score is equivalent to scores generated using the PEDI-CAT and can be compared to scores from other populations of children with disabilities. The PEDI-CAT (ASD) Daily Activities, Mobility, and Responsibility domain scores are exactly the same as the PEDI-CAT.